Upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Sep 8 20:37:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 15:44 -0700, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> [...]

Well, yes.  Or install the 64-bit OS.  As I mentioned, 32-bit stuff will
run fine (provided you have the appropriate 32-bit libraries installed
as well), but the 64-bit specific stuff will go like greased lightning
out of hell.  Example: Full kernel compile on a 2GHz Opteron (Opteron
3000) takes about 10-12 minutes.  Same thing on a 2.8GHz Xeon takes well
over 25 minutes.

> If so, I was afraid of that...

Yup.  You didn't think there was a free lunch involved now, did you? :-)

Now, note that the 64-bit kernel WILL allow you to run more 32-bit apps
faster as it can access more memory directly and its memory management
(elevator code) is more efficient when context switching than the 32-bit
kernel.  It's not a significant difference, but its there.

IMHO, if you're going to go 64-bit, go 64-bit all the way.  Revert to
32-bit when you must.  Most Linux apps are available in 64-bit versions.
Some stuff isn't, but that's where the Athlon64/Opteron ability to run
both types simulaneously absolutely shines.  As I said, I use several
32-bit apps just fine (including Skype).  Really, once you go 64-bit,
it's REALLY hard to go back.  And if you can go 64-bit dual core,
well...  :-D

-  Time: Nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.  -