Virtual hosts

Nair, Murlidharan T mnair at iusb.edu
Mon Sep 18 00:39:49 UTC 2006

________________________________

From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com on behalf of Maxim Vexler
Sent: Sun 9/17/2006 1:23 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: Virtual hosts

On 9/17/06, Nair, Murlidharan T <mnair at iusb.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to configure my httpd.conf to specify a virtual host. I have
> not done this before. I am getting the following error
>
> [root at bioinformatics init.d]# ./httpd restart
> Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> Starting httpd: [Sun Sep 17 10:22:55 2006] [error] VirtualHost
> _default_:443 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost
> address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
>                                                            [  OK  ]
>
> Do I have to make an entry in the DNS record, specifying the virtual
> host? Its the cname I guess correct?
> Let me know if I have goofed up any where.
> Cheers ../Murli
>

> #httpd.conf is this correct ?
> # Virtual host Default Virtual Host
> NameVirtualHost *
> <VirtualHost *>
>         ServerName bioinformatics.iusb.edu
> # this is what the ip (149.161.64.244) for the machine has been mapped
> as
>         ServerAlias www.bioinformatics.iusb.edu
>         VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/html
>         ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
>         ServerSignature email
>         DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
>        LogLevel  warn
> #       HostNameLookups off
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *>
>     ServerName splice.bioinformatics.iusb.edu
>     VirtualDocumentRoot /mnt/webservice/splicehtml
>     ScriptAlias /cgi/ "/mnt/webservice/splicecgi-bin/"
> <Directory "/mnt/webservice/splicehtml">
>         Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
>         AllowOverride None
>         Allow from all
>         Order allow,deny
> </Directory>
> <Directory "/var/www/icons">
>         Options Indexes MultiViews
>         AllowOverride None
>         Allow from all
>         Order allow,deny
> </Directory>
> <Directory "/mnt/webservice/splicecgi-bin">
>         Options ExecCGI
>         AllowOverride None
>         Allow from all
>         Order allow,deny
> </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>

Hi, Attach my virtual hosts file I am using on my debian server.
See if that helps you

<<<
NameVirtualHost wiki

<VirtualHost wiki>
ServerName wiki
DocumentRoot /var/www/
RedirectMatch ^/$ /twiki/bin/view/
       <Directory /twiki/>
              AllowOverride None
              Order allow,deny
              allow from all
             # This directive allows us to have apache2's default start page
             # in /apache2-default/, but still have / go to the right place
      </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost noc

<VirtualHost noc>
ServerName noc
DocumentRoot /var/www/
RedirectMatch ^/$ /otrs/
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost helpdesk

<VirtualHost helpdesk>
ServerName helpdesk
DocumentRoot /var/www/
RedirectMatch ^/$ /otrs/customer.pl
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *>
       ServerAdmin webmaster at localhost

       DocumentRoot /var/www/
       <Directory />
               Options FollowSymLinks
               AllowOverride None
       </Directory>
       <Directory /var/www/>
               AllowOverride None
               Order allow,deny
               allow from all
               # This directive allows us to have apache2's default start page
               # in /apache2-default/, but still have / go to the right place
               RedirectMatch ^/$ /twiki/bin/view/
       </Directory>

       ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
       <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
               AllowOverride None
               Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
               Order allow,deny
               Allow from all
       </Directory>

       ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

       # alert, emerg.
       LogLevel warn

       CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
       ServerSignature On

   Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
   <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
       Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
       AllowOverride None
       Order deny,allow
       Deny from all
       Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
   </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

--
Cheers,
Maxim Vexler

I presume your main server is wiki correct? do you have two installations of Apache?  Also do you have the virtual host as one of the DNS records ?

Thanks ../Murli