Virtual hosts

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Mon Sep 18 14:54:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, September 18, 2006 2:06 am, Maxim Vexler wrote:
> On 9/18/06, Nair, Murlidharan T <mnair at iusb.edu> wrote:
>>

>> ________________________________

This looks better than below.

>> >         ServerName bioinformatics.iusb.edu
>> > # this is what the ip (149.161.64.244) for the machine has been mapped
>> > as
>> >         ServerAlias www.bioinformatics.iusb.edu
>> >         VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/html
>> >         ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
>> >         ServerSignature email
>> >         DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
>> >        LogLevel  warn
>> > #       HostNameLookups off
>> > </VirtualHost>
>> >
>> > <VirtualHost *>
>> >     ServerName splice.bioinformatics.iusb.edu
>> >     VirtualDocumentRoot /mnt/webservice/splicehtml
>> >     ScriptAlias /cgi/ "/mnt/webservice/splicecgi-bin/"
>> > <Directory "/mnt/webservice/splicehtml">
>> >         Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
>> >         AllowOverride None
>> >         Allow from all
>> >         Order allow,deny
>> > </Directory>
>> > <Directory "/var/www/icons">
>> >         Options Indexes MultiViews
>> >         AllowOverride None
>> >         Allow from all
>> >         Order allow,deny
>> > </Directory>
>> > <Directory "/mnt/webservice/splicecgi-bin">
>> >         Options ExecCGI
>> >         AllowOverride None
>> >         Allow from all
>> >         Order allow,deny
>> > </Directory>
>> > </VirtualHost>
>> >

>> Hi, Attach my virtual hosts file I am using on my debian server.
>> See if that helps you
>>
>> <<<
>> NameVirtualHost wiki
>>
>> <VirtualHost wiki>
>> ServerName wiki
>> DocumentRoot /var/www/
>> RedirectMatch ^/$ /twiki/bin/view/
>>        <Directory /twiki/>
>>               Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
>>               AllowOverride None
>>               Order allow,deny
>>               allow from all
>>              # This directive allows us to have apache2's default start page
>>              # in /apache2-default/, but still have / go to the right place
>>       </Directory>
>> </VirtualHost>
>>

>> NameVirtualHost noc
>>
>> <VirtualHost noc>
>> ServerName noc
>> DocumentRoot /var/www/
>> RedirectMatch ^/$ /otrs/
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> NameVirtualHost helpdesk
>>
>> <VirtualHost helpdesk>
>> ServerName helpdesk
>> DocumentRoot /var/www/
>> RedirectMatch ^/$ /otrs/customer.pl
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> NameVirtualHost *:80
>> <VirtualHost *>

This is what is causing the problem. You have to have *:80 on both or neither.

DNS doesn't matter in this example. If it's setup and working, I.e:

host wiki...
host IP.ADD.For.wiki

both point to the other, you are good.

Karl

>>        ServerAdmin webmaster at localhost
>>
>>        DocumentRoot /var/www/
>>        <Directory />
>>                Options FollowSymLinks
>>                AllowOverride None
>>        </Directory>
>>        <Directory /var/www/>
>>                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
>>                AllowOverride None
>>                Order allow,deny
>>                allow from all
>>                # This directive allows us to have apache2's default start
>> page
>>                # in /apache2-default/, but still have / go to the right
>> place
>>                RedirectMatch ^/$ /twiki/bin/view/
>>        </Directory>
>>
>>        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
>>        <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
>>                AllowOverride None
>>                Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
>>                Order allow,deny
>>                Allow from all
>>        </Directory>
>>
>>        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log
>>
>>        # Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
>>        # alert, emerg.
>>        LogLevel warn
>>
>>        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
>>        ServerSignature On
>>
>>    Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
>>    <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
>>        Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
>>        AllowOverride None
>>        Order deny,allow
>>        Deny from all
>>        Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
>>    </Directory>
>>
>> </VirtualHost>
>> >>>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Maxim Vexler
>>
>> I presume your main server is wiki correct? do you have two installations of
>> Apache?  Also do you have the virtual host as one of the DNS records ?
>>
>> Thanks ../Murli
>>

> Yes, wiki is the main server.
> The is only a single instance of the Apache daemon running.
>
> otrs it CNAME in the DNS.
> This server is in the internal network that why you are not seeing
> fqdn dns names.

> --
> Cheers,
> Maxim Vexler
>
> "Free as in Freedom" - Do u GNU ?

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
 the people who are evil, but because of the people who
 don't do anything about it.
 - Albert Einstein
---