Boot Problem after Playing with Powervault

Bret Stern bret_stern at machinemanagement.com
Fri Sep 22 17:47:26 UTC 2006

So..

Last night I added a recently purchased Dell Powervault 210s to my
Dell 2450 running Fedora 5.

As I browsed the uninitialized drives on the PowerVault, I
accidentally/on purpose initialized a disk with a linux boot partition.
It's just my tinkering habit.

Now my system boots to grub> (that's it). Certainly I hosed
my Grub boot.

Where i'm at..

I found that there were two bootable partitions on the machine.
One on sda1, and one on sdb1. I toggled the boot flag on sdb1 (off)
because I only run Linux and sda1 is the logical boot.
(Is the above correct thinking). I can always restore the flag.

I have booted my machine using the Fedora cd and typee "linux rescue".

This found my install and I have chosen to "chroot /mnt/sysimage".

I can see all my data.

When I tried "grub-install /dev/sda", I get the following.
 "/boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly"

What's my next step (maybe I should get into landscaping)  ?

Bret Stern