how to umount flash disk

Nofriyadi Nurdam nnurdam_rh at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 07:44:58 UTC 2007

The problem is losed with command:
 # umount /mnt/name_of_flashdisk
 Thanks very much
 Nofriyadi

Bob McClure Jr <bob at bobcatos.com> wrote: On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 07:42:49PM -0700, Nofriyadi Nurdam wrote:
> Hallo Gurus,
>
> I have a problem with my flash disk. Usually I put in my flash disk and my computer presented it on the screen. In this case, it is easy to eject the flash disk.
> Sometimes the computer does not present it on the screen. In this case, I have to umount it on console. I have tried to umount with the command: $ umount /mnt/flashdisk
>  But it did not work. Message form linux was:  /mnt/flasfdisk is not mounted (according to mtab)
>  Could you help me please, how to umount the flashdisk

Maybe it wasn't mounted.  Maybe it wasn't mounted where you thought it
was.  You can find out by simply doing a

  df

That's as in "disk free", or you could use

  mount

but "df" is quicker and easier to read.  Remember that you can umount
it by device name (e.g. /dev/sda1) as well as by mount point.

Also, with the more recent releases, the mount point is more likely to
be /media/, where "" is likely to be "usb",
particularly if it is automounted.

>  Thanks in advance
>  Nofriyadi

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In
this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the
world."  John 16:33 (NIV)

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com