The plus symbol in fdisk -l

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Mon Dec 3 23:08:22 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 13:58 -0800, gerrynix wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 06:20 -0800, gerrynix wrote:
> > What does the + symbol, at the end of the "Blocks" count, signify in
> > the output of fdisk -l ?
>
> It means that the partition does not end on a cylinder boundary. By
> that, I mean that, after conversion to a CHS layout (cylinder, head,
> sector), the partition doesn't end on head 254, sector 63 and a
> cylinder
> boundary.
>
> Thanks Rick,
> I Googled and "manned" and couldn't find anything on this. I didn't
> look at the source but then again.... I am not a "source guy".  So
> this situation is not a negative thing... Just a notice?

Yup, informational only.  It's displayed that way because some operating
systems (OS/2 comes to mind as well as any that depend heavily on BIOS
calls) don't like it.  Most somewhat modern systems don't mind since
they use LBA (logical block addressing) anyway.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-     "Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?"     -