Kernel remove via yum

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Dec 13 01:43:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 17:40 -0600, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 06:08:51PM -0500, mylar wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Now that I have successfully upgraded my kernel via yum can I remove the
> > old kernel via yum ? In other words can I simply do a
> >
> > "# yum remove "kernel-2.6-18"
>
> Yeah, I guess that will work.  I just use rpm:
>
>   rpm -e kernel-2.6-18
>
> That said, I always keep the previous kernel around in case some
> disaster strikes the new kernel, which, of course, hasn't happened,
> ... yet.

Heheheheheh!

> > or are there any additional steps I need to take care to do ?

Normally yum only keeps two versions of each kernel anyway.  That's
what the "tokeep=2" does in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf.
If you want to keep more, then change it to whatever you want.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-           Blech!  ACKth!  Ooop!  -- Bill the Cat (Outland)         -