Help !! It's Baaack !

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Dec 14 19:30:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 06:11 -0500, mylar wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I retitled this email. Okay, the same problem that I described below is
> back again. It's really weird. It seems to be hit or miss. Sometimes
> when I boot the new kernel the display comes up normally and
> immediately. Other times I'll get the message, "Cannot display this
> video mode", which will hang for a few seconds then the screen will
> blink a couple of times and then the display will come up. other times
> it just sits there with the message "Cannot display this video mode" and
> does nothing. The only way out when it does that is just to hit the big
> switch on the front of the machine.
>
> However, when I boot the old kernel the display comes up each and every
> time with no problems. So for now I've gone back to using the old
> kernel.
>
> Any ideas. Where do I start debugging this thing ? Why would it work,
> then not work, intermittently like that. Its one of the strangest
> problems I've had in a looooong time.

First off, what kind of video hardware is it?  Which driver are you
running?  This sounds like the driver is misinterpreting the DRI data
from the monitor on warm boots.

> Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
>
> John / mylar
>

> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 17:39 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 18:05 -0500, mylar wrote:
> > > Hello... Here's an update...
> > >
> > > It seems to be working now. After I installed the new kernel via yum I
> > > rebooted into the new kernel and I had the video display problem. So I
> > > shut down and rebooted the old kernel and everything was OK. After a few
> > > hours I shut down and left. When I got back a few hours later I booted
> > > the machine and decided to give another shot at trying to boot the new
> > > kernel.
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-       "I'd explain it to you, but your brain might explode."       -