upload speeds - ftp

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Mon Dec 17 17:45:38 UTC 2007

> Does anybody have any tips for increasing upload
> speeds?
>
> Perhaps sending the file a different way.
>
> I periodically send a zipped 500mb file to my ftp host.
> (data sent to my server from a dsl client/customer)
>
> I have Comcast cable, and host an ftp server on my
> network. The host is behind an inexpensive router,
> which is port forwarded to my ftp host.
>
> The ftp host is a Dell 2450 with dual 1.2 processors,
> 2-gb ram routed through a Cisco 2900XL 10/100 switch.
>
> I'm getting about 38 - 40 kb upload speed to my
> host.
>
> B Stern

Cable and DSL are, of course, asymmetric. They assume you will download
more than you upload. Cable is ESPECIALLY asymmetric since they have a
small return channel. From what I read, though, on the FTP server end, the
transfer is a download through a cable modem. That should be pretty quick.
On the FTP client end, it's an upload through DSL. I'd expect them to be
able to do 128kbps upload, so your 30 to 40 kbps sounds a bit short. It
would be interesting for you to try it from somewhere else to see which
end has the problem.

Good luck!

Harold

--