Yum dependency Problem after Upgrade ?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 8 21:56:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 16:08 -0500, Micros50 wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 12:28, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 23:32 -0500, mylar wrote:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > Just the other day I updated a FC3 box to FC5 via CD's. For the very
> > > first time I opted to do an upgrade instead of a fresh install. The
> > > upgrade went fine, or so I thought. Then some problems crept in...
> > >
> > > I noticed some apps (i.e.) emacs seem to be missing necessary fonts.
> > >
> > > But most important, I can't do any updates with yum. If I try to update
> > > a (say kde) I get the following dependency eerrors
> > >
> > > XFree86-devel needed...
> > > xorg-x11-devel needed...
> > >
> > > If I try and install these via yum it doesn't work...
> > >
> > > Any ideas ? Could it have something to do with depreciation of certain
> > > packages between versions ?? I tried googling around but found nothing
> > > helpful.  Or should I just go back and do a fresh install of FC5 ??
> >
> > I'd do a fresh install.  FC5 uses Xorg for X instead of FC3's XFree86.
> > There's lots of inherent differences between the two systems...
> > especially in the development trees.  You're running into that issue.
> >
> > Can you fix it without a reinstall?  Yes, but it can be rather time
> > consuming and frustrating.  I've done it.  I wouldn't do it again.
> >

> Thanks Rick. I thought I might have missed something during the upgrade. But
> from the dependency errors I saw it look like what you describe, compatibility
> issues between Xorg and XFree86. I'd imagine fixing it manually will lead me
> into "dependency hell". I was hoping I could manage with a simple
> upgrade rather than a full re-install but I guess that would be too easy :)
>
> I'll give a go at a re installation. I'm stuck at home with a injured leg
> so it will give me something to do.

Well, you can try "rpm -e XFree86*" and that will either delete it or
spew a list of packages that depend on it.  You can delete those first,
then delete XFree86.  "yum delete XFree86*" would probably do it as well
as deleting the dependencies.  Just be warned that you may hose things
badly.

If you're stuck at home, why not go for FC6?  FC5 won't be around that
much longer with FC7 gets released.  A word of warning:  FC6's installer
will install the 586 kernel on a 686 machine (known problem). As soon as
it's installed, make sure you

	yum install kernel-`uname -r`.i686

to make sure you have the i686 kernel installed.  Then reboot using that
kernel and "yum delete kernel-`uname -r`.i586" to make sure the old 586
kernel RPM is gone.

Even better, go to fedoraunity.org and download the FC6 respin.  That's
FC6 plus all the updates through January 11, 2007 or so.  It will
install the correct kernel as well as reducing the number of updates
that have to be done via yum (if you have everything installed, there's
something like 500 updates--it can take a while).

- I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do  -
-                                  in it.                            -
-                                                      -- WC. Fields -