boot after kernel panic

Luis Rodríguez lmrc at iss.com.mx
Tue Feb 13 07:12:23 UTC 2007

Hi Rick

i attach a txt file with the last 10 messages before kernel panic
advise... you ask for this in first mail.

i enter in rescue mode, and can see mysql and postgresql files in
/mnt/sysimage

i have 2 questions:

1. is possible to mount a usb hd to backup?
this is becasue the ethernet card appears not up... so i try to attach
an usb hd
when review dmesg appears the usb is detected, but not assign any device.
apparently assign sda2, but when try to mount an error appears advice
that nothing there..
later check, and this sda2 and sda5 not in /dev
appears with permission like this brwx------ in /tmp

2. fsck is safe for ext3 filesystem?
i review the fstab and have something like this:
/ ext3
/dev/cciss/c0d1p2 swap
/dev/cciss/c0d1p3 swap
/dev/cciss/c0d1p5 swap
/dev/cciss/c0d1p6 swap
/dev/cciss/c0d1p7 swap
/dev/cciss/c0d1p8 swap

and some ohter entries.

the Raid is via hardware:
Controler Compaq Smart Array 5i slot 0
the array are 3 scsi hd about 75GB, the controller have 18GB

i not an expert, so... i hope can you help me, or may be what recommend:
try to restore the system
or try to backup the databases and install the OS again .

this last option i try to avoid because we have several configurations
to access some data in another servers, and imply 4 or more days of work.

and this server have applications must be run yesterday...
why note have a backup server... please dont ask.
why not have a database backup? the last one have about 45 days.

we appreciate any comment.

Thanks again.