grub boot loader got deleted.

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 22 18:04:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 07:54 -0600, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 12:40:54PM +0530, manish soin wrote:
> > I had 2 operating systems on my computer
> > microsoft xp pro. sp2 and fedora linux (latest version).
> > I bought a new hard disk and in order to make basic partions on hard disk.
> > I selecetd my dvd rom as first boot device and inserted microsoft CD in drive.
> > after that the GRUB boot loader got deleted.
> > -->and each time I restart my comp. XP automatically boots up.
> > I want to resore GRUB boot loader so that I linux operating system can boot and it should show xp there as well so that I have the option to choose between XP and linux.
> >
> > Is  there any way by which I can do that.
>
> Yep.  Boot to rescue mode with your FC* Disk 1.  (At the boot: prompt,
> put "linux rescue".)  Let it mount your Linux installation when it
> finds it.  Then
>
>   chroot /mnt/sysimage
>   grub-install /dev/hda # or whatever your boot drive is
>   exit
>   exit
>
> Yeah, exit twice - once from the chroot shell and once from rescue.
> Pop out the cd and the normal grub stuff should come up when it
> reboots.

It should also be pointed out that the reason grub disappears is that
Microsoft thinks they own every computer they install on.  They wipe
out any other boot loaders when they install.  Linux is nicer in that
while they will wipe out Windows' loader if you ask it to, it will add
Windows to its boot menu.

So, the rule always is, install Windows first but reserve enough space
on the hard drive for Linux.  Then install Linux.

-   Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the   -
-                     reader...who doesn't get it.                   -