where to find logs for getting info who login

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jan 22 17:52:30 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 23:29 -0500, jason zeng wrote:
> Hi, Cameron,
>
> Thanks for your prompt response. I still has problem, please help.
>
> I go to /usr/log, only found wtmp.1, and I could not use vi to see it,
> what should I need to do next? if the files deleted by someone who
> made mistake, can I get it back ?

wtmp is a binary file.  vi can't handle it.  Try

	last -f /var/log/wtmp.1

by default, "last" tries to use /var/log/wtmp, however you can tell it
which file to use by using "-f /path/to/wtmp/file/to/use".  Reading the
man page for "last" ("man last") for details.

> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Jason Zeng
>
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
>         On 21Jan2007 18:32, jason zeng  wrote:
>         | I am not familiar with RedHat Linux logs, and I am
>         encountering a problem
>         | that our important files disappeared. So I want to know WHO
>         made this? How
>         | can I get info about who login and when, Could I find a way
>         to recover the
>         | files? it is possible?
>
>         The wtmp file is the traditional place. The "last" command
>         lists recent
>         logins for you.
>         --
>         Cameron Simpson  DoD#743
>         http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/
>
>         Printer not ready.
>         Could be a fatal error.
>         Have a pen handy?
>         - Haiku Error Messages
>         http://www.salonmagazine.com/21st/chal/1998/02/10chal2.html

-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -