printer suddenly disappeared

Buz Davis buzdavis at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 1 19:21:42 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:

> We also have to ask...why are you still running RH9?  It's over four
> years old now, it's got major security issues, it's an ancient 2.2
> kernel, its memory management is atrocious, it's not supported anymore
> by anyone, etc., etc.  You really should make the leap to something
> modern: RHEL, Fedora or CentOS (even SuSE, Ubuntu, Debian or some other
> derivative).

Rick,

Thanks for the info on your /etc/hosts files and also on how to trouble
shoot the printer problem.  To answer your question about my using RH9
I don't have anything to burn CDs with, and 9 is the last release of
Redhat that was available on CDs (as far as I know).  Also, I'm not sure
my hardware is capable of running later editions.  (As a matter of fact
on a couple of machines with more limited memory than my desktop I am
running RH6.2)

I don't want to move to some other vendor because, to be frank, I have
come to regard the quality of advice I get from this list very highly
and don't want to leave you guys!