how to limit bandwidth on local host

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Jun 6 17:03:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 16:47 +0530, Alok Pandey wrote:
> hi
> I want to limit  the bandwidth on machine having OS centos 4.3
> final/64_86 arch ,up to 35kbps. I had google around and now i m quite
> confused to which way to move.
> I found several ways as , with iptables ,with  squid , tc etc.
> Can you suggest me which will be efficient and esaiest way to move.
> Will it be better to use iptables limit.

It rather depends on what you're trying to do.  iptables can only limit
based on source or destination IP addresses or NICs.  Squid can
limit based on virtual hosts and such.  vsFTPd can limit FTP bandwidth.

Since you haven't said exactly what this machine is doing and precisely
what you're trying to limit, it's hard to advise you on which is best.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -