Broadcom 4328 Pre-N Wireless Device

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 12 17:30:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 22:49 +0000, Raab Nelson wrote:
> I really appreciate the help! I had to try four different windows drivers before I found one that enabled to device. Ended up manually setting the modprobe and its working!!! Yay!  Thanks again!

No problem.  The issue with pre-N wireless cards are that the firmware
and such is in a state of flux.  Once the standard is fully accepted and
the hardware makers stabilize their chipsets, someone out there will
probably come up with an open source driver.

This isn't always true, as some chip makers will not release their API
(TI being one of them).  There are reasons for that...misusing the API
may cause the chips to transmit out-of-frequency, or with a higher power
level or some other nefarious thing and the chip makers don't want to
be held liable for any damages that misuse may cause.

The nice thing about ndiswrapper is that if you can find a Windows
driver (and there's probably one on the CD that came with your machine),
you can use it under Linux.

> Raab
>
> BlackBerry service provided by Nextel

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer          rstevens at vitalstream.com -
-       A squeegee, by any other name, wouldn't sound as funny.      -