FC6 and ndiswrapper

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sat Mar 31 19:46:17 UTC 2007

> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 20:18 -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>> I did an upgrade on my hp laptop from fc5 to fc6 and my wlan stopped
>> working. Here's some stuff I've found:
>>
>> [root at hhlaptop sbin]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
>> Installed drivers:
>> bcmwl5          driver installed, hardware present
>>
>> So, it looks like it's there
>>
>> [root at hhlaptop sbin]# /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
>> FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
>>
>> But maybe it isn't.
>>
>> Check versions between os and ndiswrapper...
>>
>> [root at hhlaptop sbin]# cat /proc/version
>> Linux version 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
>> (brewbuilder at hs20-bc1-6.build.redhat.com)
>> (gcc version 4.1.1 20061011 (Red Hat 4.1.1-30)) #1 SMP Mon Oct 16
>> 14:39:22
>> EDT 2006
>>

>> [root at hhlaptop sbin]# /sbin/modinfo ndiswrapper
>> modinfo: could not find module ndiswrapper
>>
>> Still can't find ndiswrapper...
>>
>> Ideas?
>
> Harold,
>
> ndiswrapper isn't part of the standard distribution and must be rebuilt
> for each new kernel that gets installed.  You did a major upgrade (FC5
> to FC6), so the kernel was updated.  Also note that if you update the
> kernel via yum, you will also need to rebuild ndiswrapper.
>
> ndiswrapper actually is made of several parts.  The bit in /usr/sbin
> is the bit that sets up the Windows driver to be used.  It generally
> doesn't change and can be used over all kernel versions.  The second
> bit, ndiswrapper.ko, is the actual kernel module and is kernel-specific.
> It lives in the "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc" directory.

THANKS to all! I uninstalled ndiswrapper, then installed the latest, and
IT WORKS! Next trick is to finish the upgrade of my server from FC4 to
FC6. At a minimum, it changed httpd.conf so it brings up a default web
page instead of where my stuff really is. So, I'll start digging through
stuff to see what doesn't work and fix it. I guess upgrades cannot just be
load it and run...

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising