Please help with the IPv6 installation support

Jing CDL Sun sjing at cn.ibm.com
Mon Nov 5 05:51:15 UTC 2007

Rick,

Thank you for the confirm.

We will use RHEL5 or RHEL5.1 to do this probing work, just as you said,
once we can actually get to the NFS server using IPv6, the installation
should proceed normally. I have searched by google for this NFS IPv6
support, it seems NFSv4 can support IPv6, but I only find the step by step
guide for IPv4 configuration of NFS version4, and can not find how to
configure IPv6 NFS server and client, do you know that? Thank you.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------
Sun Jing(孙靖)
IBM China Software Development Laboratory
Tel: (86-10) 82782244 ext.3625   E-mail: sjing at cn.ibm.com
Address:5F Deshi Building No.9 Shangdi East Road Haidian District,Beijing
City P.R.China 100085, P.R.China.

             Rick Stevens
             <rstevens at interna
             p.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Getting started with Red Hat Linux
             redhat-install-li         <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
             st-bounces at redhat                                          cc
             .com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Please help with the IPv6

             Please respond to
              Getting started
               with Red Hat
                   Linux
             <redhat-install-l
              ist at redhat.com>

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 10:06 +0800, Jing CDL Sun wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Thank you for your help, but I still have one questions about the
> kickstart config file,
> I can configure the NFS server by specifying "%ethX" at the end of the
> IPv6
> address of the remote host, and except that, is there any other
> different config in the
> kickstart file to using IPv6 NFS network installation?

It shouldn't.  Once you can actually get to the NFS server using IPv6,
the installation should proceed normally.  All you're doing there is
establishing the link to the spot where the data is.

> Is that any related document that can guide me to do IPv6 NFS network
> installation step by step?
> if there is, then it is so GREAT!

As I said, it should work just the same as a standard install, once you
can actually "see" the NFS server over IPv6.

> In addition, which release does RedHatEL begin to support IPv6 NFS
> network installation?
> then I can begin to probe them, thank you.

I think RHEL4 update 0 was the first to fully support IPv6.  If you just
want to try installations and aren't worried about Red Hat support, you
might want to try CentOS.  It's essentially a "white box" version of
RHEL (they grab the RHEL source RPMs, tweak them to remove Red
Hat-branded items and recompile it).  It's available free of charge
from:

             http://www.centos.org

Here's the relationship between RHEL releases and CentOS releases:

RHEL                     CentOS
-----------        -----------
4 update 0         4.0
4 update 1         4.1
4 update 2         4.2
4 update 3         4.3
4 update 4         4.4
4 update 5         4.5
4 update 0         5.0

As far as documentation, the standard RHEL documents also work for
CentOS.  The installation guide is at:

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/index.html

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com