Re: Please help with the IPv6 installation support

Rick,

Thank you for the confirm.

We will use RHEL5 or RHEL5.1 to do this probing work, just as you said, once we can actually get to the NFS server using IPv6, the installation should proceed normally. I have searched by google for this NFS IPv6 support, it seems NFSv4 can support IPv6, but I only find the step by step guide for IPv4 configuration of NFS version4, and can not find how to configure IPv6 NFS server and client, do you know that? Thank you.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------
Sun Jing(孙靖)
IBM China Software Development Laboratory
Tel: (86-10) 82782244 ext.3625 E-mail: sjing cn ibm com
Address:5F Deshi Building No.9 Shangdi East Road Haidian District,Beijing City P.R.China 100085, P.R.China.

Inactive hide details for Rick Stevens <rstevens internap com>Rick Stevens <rstevens internap com>

          Rick Stevens <rstevens internap com>
          Sent by: redhat-install-list-bounces redhat com

          2007-11-03 04:27

          Please respond to
          Getting started with Red Hat Linux <redhat-install-list redhat com>

Getting started with Red Hat Linux <redhat-install-list redhat com>

cc

Subject

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 10:06 +0800, Jing CDL Sun wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Thank you for your help, but I still have one questions about the
> kickstart config file,
> I can configure the NFS server by specifying "%ethX" at the end of the
> IPv6
> address of the remote host, and except that, is there any other
> different config in the
> kickstart file to using IPv6 NFS network installation?

It shouldn't.  Once you can actually get to the NFS server using IPv6,
the installation should proceed normally.  All you're doing there is
establishing the link to the spot where the data is.

> Is that any related document that can guide me to do IPv6 NFS network
> installation step by step?
> if there is, then it is so GREAT!

As I said, it should work just the same as a standard install, once you
can actually "see" the NFS server over IPv6.

> In addition, which release does RedHatEL begin to support IPv6 NFS
> network installation?
> then I can begin to probe them, thank you.

I think RHEL4 update 0 was the first to fully support IPv6.  If you just
want to try installations and aren't worried about Red Hat support, you
might want to try CentOS.  It's essentially a "white box" version of
RHEL (they grab the RHEL source RPMs, tweak them to remove Red
Hat-branded items and recompile it).  It's available free of charge
from:

http://www.centos.org

Here's the relationship between RHEL releases and CentOS releases:

RHEL CentOS
----------- -----------
4 update 0 4.0
4 update 1 4.1
4 update 2 4.2
4 update 3 4.3
4 update 4 4.4
4 update 5 4.5
4 update 0 5.0

As far as documentation, the standard RHEL documents also work for
CentOS.  The installation guide is at:

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/index.html

> On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 13:43 +0800, Jing CDL Sun wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We are going to install RedHat(maybe RedHatEL5.1) to a system P
> > machine with IPv6 network, but we do not know whether RedHat support
> > IPv6 installation now,
> > if so, could you point me to the configuration method or the related
> > document? That will be very helpful for us, thank you in advance.
> >
> > BTW, I have read Installation_Guide, but not find any clue about
> IPv6
> > installation, can anyone help me? thank you.
>
> RHEL does support normal IPv6 operations.
>
> If you're trying to do a network install (http, ftp, NFS) and your
> machine has multiple NICs, then the specification of the host
> containing
> the install images MUST include the ID of the ethernet NIC you wish to
> use (eth0, eth1, etc.) by specifying "%ethX" at the end of the IPv6
> address of the remote host.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens internap com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.
http://www.internap.com -
-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -