Root login fails when using serial dialup modem

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Nov 29 18:47:34 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 07:34 -0500, Bill Jones wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Rick.
>
> There wasn't a usertty file and securetty did indeed have /dev/ttyS0 as
> an entry. We got around the issue by creating a user and then su to root
> after successfully logging in via the modem.

Ah, /etc/securetty should NOT have the "/dev/" bit in it...just "ttyS0".
The "/dev/" bit is assumed.

> Again, thanks for taking time to reply.

No problem.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
-                                                ...once.            -