ubs mem stick install

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Sep 7 23:22:49 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 18:05 -0500, Fred Grant wrote:

> > > Here are my bios usb options:FDD,HDD,ZIP,CDROM.  Do you think I could
> > > boot from usb?
> >
> > A thumb drive will appear as an HDD, so if those are the options under
> > USB boot devices, yes.  You do have some work to do:
> >
> > 1. Download the "diskboot.img" file from one of the repositories
> >
> > 2. Use some program to copy the image file to the thumb drive.  Under
> > DOS or Windows, find a copy of "rawrite" and use it.  Under Linux, use
> > "dd", e.g.:
> >
> > 	dd if=/path/to/diskboot.img of=/dev/sda bs=512
> >
> > That assumes that the thumb drive showed up as /dev/sda.  Use the
> > "dmesg" command to display where the kernel actually found it.
> >
> > 3. Plug the thumb drive into the target machine.
> >
> > 4. Reboot the target machine. If the system already has a bootable OS on
> > the hard drive, change the boot order in the BIOS screen to boot the
> > USB drive first.  If there is no bootable OS on the hard drive, you
> > can skip this step.
> >
> > 5. Follow the prompts at the boot screen you see.
> >
> > Again, for about $40 you can get an external USB DVD/RW drive.  They're
> > REALLY handy to have around.
>
> I think you're trying to tell me something here.

Not really.  It's just that a lot of newer software is going to arrive
on DVD media--not just Fedora.  Trying to sort out some other mechanism
to load software can be a royal pain (getting a CD/DVD ISO image to
install on a thumb drive being just one of them).  Having an external
USB or firewire DVD drive can be very handy for machines that don't have
them.

For example, we have about 800 Dell 1850s and 2850s that don't have DVD
drives.  If we need to install software on any of them and that stuff
comes on a DVD, that's a problem.  Network installs aren't always an
option in our business.  So, we wander over to the machine with a
USB-based drive and do what needs to be done.

I've mandated that we have two USB-based drives in each data center...a
500GB to 1TB USB hard drive (for immediate backups) and a USB CD/DVD
rewritable drive (for software installs, archival backups, etc.).  I
found one company that actually makes a 500GB drive and DVD+-RW in one
box.  We have two of them.  No, I can't recall who makes it.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -