Installer prompts for device driver

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue Sep 11 18:02:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, September 11, 2007 11:20 am, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 19:42 -0700, Tony Robbins wrote:
>> Thanks, Rick. Here's the website for the specs:
>> http://tinyurl.com/ywpz8q
>>
>> I'm attmpting to update the BIOS now, but not sure if that'll help.
>> I'll check the settings as well.
>
> Ah, it's an oldie!  Ok.
>
> Well, looking at those specs, the primary things I see are the size of
> the HDD (5GB is awfully damned small) and the maximum RAM (160MB is
> too small for a GUI-based install).  You may be out of luck for an F7
> install on that hardware.  The minimum specs for F7 are:
>
> Text install: 128MB and a 200MHz processor
> GUI install:  192MB and a 400MHz processor.
>
> Customized installs can occupy as little as 90MB, 275MB for an
> "everything" install, and 9GB for all packages.
>
> For a machine of that vintage and size, I'd recommend you install
> something like TinyLinux or one of the others from this list:
>
> 	http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Mini_Distributions/

Try DSL first. They've 'P.C.'ed their page, so it says, Demi-Sized Linux,
instead of Damn Small Linux, but it's the same distro. It's very nice and I
run it from a credit-card sized Live CD. Customize it from the Live CD, then
install to the laptop to keep your customizations. I put it on an old Compaq
laptop model 1075 and it worked better than the 'native' win98 install.

HTH,

Karl

Karl L. Pearson
karlp at ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
 the people who are evil, but because of the people who
 don't do anything about it.
 - Albert Einstein
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---