install grub on LVM

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Tue Sep 18 15:02:16 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 06:39:20AM -0500, Fred Grant wrote:
> I want to install grub on hd1 boot partition which is LVM.

hd1?  Do you mean hda?  Or hda1?

I didn't think you could boot LVM partitions.  Let's be clear on this.
An LVM partition is somewhat like an extended partition in that it
does not contain any kind of filesystem.  It does, however, contain
one or more logical volumes each of which which may contain a
filesystem.

Customarily, there is (at least) one plain linux partition with an
ext[23] filesystem on it, which is designated as the /boot partition.
You will likely have another partition, type LVM, which contains one
or more logical volumes containing filesystems for /, /home, etc.
Still, you would normally install grub on the MBR of that disk, e.g.,
for /dev/hda

  grub-install /dev/hda

Care to share a bit more information about your desired setup?

> Grub doesn't
> seem to recognize it.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Fred

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is
wise.  Proverbs 10:19 (NIV)