unstable system question

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Sat Sep 22 00:26:42 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 19:08 -0400, jim ruxton wrote:

> > > Thanks Rick I will try this and see if it helps.
> >
> > Adding clocksource=acpi_pm didn't help unfortunately. I'm trying pci=
> > noacpi next to see if that makes a difference. Any other suggestions?
>
> So far my system has stabilized since I added pci=noapci to my
> grub.conf . Is there something I should do to narrow down the problem
> within acpi or should I just live with noacpi on my laptop?

You could try "acpi_skip_timer_override" or its opposite
"acpi_use_timer_override".  Not sure which is the best bet.  Does this
beastie use an nVidia chipset?

There's several other options available, but not having issues myself,
I can't say which may work.  Here's a snapshot of the docs:

acpi=           [HW,ACPI,X86-64,i386]
                Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
                Format: { force | off | ht | strict | noirq }
                force -- enable ACPI if default was off
                off -- disable ACPI if default was on
                noirq -- do not use ACPI for IRQ routing
                ht -- run only enough ACPI to enable Hyper Threading
                strict -- Be less tolerant of platforms that are
                   not strictly ACPI specification compliant.

One other thing I might mention is to see if there's an updated BIOS
for your machine and if so, install it.
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -