trying to build kernel but getting error

jim ruxton cinetron at passport.ca
Fri Sep 28 11:37:40 UTC 2007

Hi ,
I'm trying to compile a kernel and in building an rpm for it I get an
error when trying to include a patch. I'm following instructions here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora

When issuing this command:

rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec

to build  an rpm after editing kernel-2.6.spec  by entering the new
patch ie. patch-2.6.22.9.bz2 I get the following:

Building target platforms: i686
Building for target i686
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.86565
+ umask 022
+ cd /root/rpmbuild/BUILD
+ LANG=C
+ export LANG
+ unset DISPLAY
+ '[' '!' -d kernel-2.6.18/vanilla ']'
+ cd kernel-2.6.18
+ '[' -d linux-2.6.18.i686 ']'
+ rm -rf deleteme
+ mv linux-2.6.18.i686 deleteme
+ rm -rf deleteme
+ cp -rl vanilla linux-2.6.18.i686
+ cd linux-2.6.18.i686
+ echo 'Patch #1 (patch-2.6.22.9.bz2):'
Patch #1 (patch-2.6.22.9.bz2):
+ /usr/bin/bzip2 -d
+ patch -p1 -s
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]

What does this last line mean? Why doesn't it like the patch
patch-2.6.22.9.bz2  . Thanks for any insights. I figure I'll try
compiling a kernel for my machine to see if I can get something stable.

Jim