yum update - kernel panic on boot

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Wed Aug 20 13:28:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:45:53PM -0700, Bret Stern wrote:

> After performing a yum update, this boot message appears.
>
> No volume groups found
> Unable to find volume group "VolGroup00"
> Unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)
> mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
>
> more boot messages
> kernel panic not syncing
>

> Found below thread about this...as a fix.
>
> Append an ".img" to initrd-2.6.15-2.2054_FC5 so GRUB can find it.
>
> Can I use Knoppix or similar to make these changes?

Probably.  But why not boot your FC5 disk 1 in rescue mode?

- At the boot prompt, put "linux rescue".

- Let it mount your root filesystem and its dependents.

- At the shell prompt:

  chroot /mnt/sysimage

- Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf as needed, then

  exit # or ^D from chroot
  exit # or ^D from rescue mode to reboot

- Eject the CD.

That said, I've never seen an update farble the grub.conf, so I'd be
surprised if the solution is that simple.  You may have to rerun the
procedure above, but instead of the edit, do a

  grub-install /dev/hda # assuming that's your boot drive.

> thanks

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities -- his
eternal power and divine nature -- have been clearly seen, being
understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
Romans 1:20 (NIV)