why boot installation stops?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Jul 9 23:42:48 UTC 2008

hong zhang wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I try to generate a generic boot disk for various versions of Redhat. When the disk boot up, user can chose one of Red Hat version to install through network. boot.iso in first disk starts installation. But if I do
> following in isolinux.cfg as following,
>
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz
> append initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>
> after boot up and installation will stop (Normally, it should start a process of installing kernel) like this

> ACPI: PCI Root bridge [PCI0] (00:00)
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
>
> Do I miss something here?

The installers for different versions of RHEL are different.  For one
thing, they look for different SHA1SUM or MD5SUM signatures on the
install media (the SHA1SUM for RHE 5 is different from 5 Update 1) and
the installer will abort when it sees a checksum it isn't expecting.

Also note that you MUST use an EXTREMELY generic kernel to start the
ball rolling.  If your kernel is expecting some hardware to be there
that isn't, the thing will stop.

It'd be nice to see what errors you're getting from the ALT-F2, -F3 and
-F4 screens.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-               If the enemy's in range...so are you!                -