install fedora on RedHat

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Jul 16 21:25:38 UTC 2008

imran shafiq wrote:
> Dear Rick
> As per your instruction following output is display.

Ok.  Let me clean it up and I'll add some comments

> # fdisk -l
> Disk /dev/hdc: 20.0 GB, 20020396544 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2434 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
> Device     Boot Start     End     Blocks    Id  System
> /dev/hdc1  *    1         13      104391    83  Linux
> /dev/hdc2       706       2434    13888192+ 0f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
> /dev/hdc3       14        144     1052257+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/hdc4       145       208     514080    83  Linux
> /dev/hdc5       706       1488    6289416   83  Linux
> /dev/hdc6       1489      1619    1052226   83  Linux
> /dev/hdc7       1620      1750    1052226   83  Linux
> /dev/hdc8       1751      1881    1052226   83  Linux
> /dev/hdc9       1882      1945    514048+   83  Linux
> /dev/hdc10      1946      2009    514048+   83  Linux

That's an odd layout. There's 498 cylinders not used in primary
partitions (209 through 705) and 425 cylinders not used at the end of
the extended partition (2010 through 2434).

Background: On PC disks you can only have four (4) primary partitions,
numbered 1 through 4 (in your case hdc1, hdc2, hdc3 and hdc4).  ONE of
those primary partitions can be an "extended" partition (and your hdc2
is that extended partition).

All partitions numbered 5 or higher (in your case, hdc5 and up) actually
exist INSIDE that extended partition.  If that's hard to visualize,
here's a rough chart:

Cylinder: |1   13|14   144|145  208|209  705|706  2009|2010 2434|
           |------|--------|--------|--------|---------+---------|
Pri Part: | hdc1 |  hdc3  | hdc4   | unused | hdc2              |
           |------|--------|--------|--------|---------+---------|
Part Num: | hdc1 |  hdc3  | hdc4   | unused | hdc5-10 | unused  |
           |------|--------|--------|--------|---------+---------|

Now, just why it's set up like that, I don't know.  This must've been
a manual partitioning job, as I can't imagine any autopartition system
that'd ignore 20% of your drive's raw capacity when setting up the
primary partitions and 25% of your extended partition when setting up
the partitions inside that.  All told, almost 45% of your disk is
unavailable for use.  Like I said, it's odd.

> # mount
> /dev/hdc8 on / type ext3 (rw)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/hdc1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> /dev/hdc4 on /home type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hdc7 on /opt type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hdc9 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hdc5 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hdc6 on /usr/local type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hdc10 on /var type ext3 (rw)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
>
> # df -h
> Filesystem     Size  Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc8      996M  303M  642M  33%  /
> /dev/hdc1      99M   9.8M  84M   11%  /boot
> tmpfs          188M  0     188M  0%   /dev/shm
> /dev/hdc4      487M  74M   388M  16%  /home
> /dev/hdc7      996M  316M  629M  34%  /opt
> /dev/hdc9      487M  11M   451M  3%   /tmp
> /dev/hdc5      5.9G  2.7G  2.9G  49%  /usr
> /dev/hdc6      996M  34M   911M  4%   /usr/local
> /dev/hdc10     487M  73M   389M  16%  /var

Well, there's free space on the drive, but it's all in the wrong spots.

Now, for the $64,000 question...can you put Fedora on the drive?  The
answer is "yes", but you have to do some fancy maneuvering and it's not
trivial.  Here it is in a nutshell:

Essentially, using fdisk you'd create a new swap partition using the
unused part of the extended partition (it'd be called hdc11) and give
it the partition type of "f".  You'd do a "mkswap /dev/hdc11" to make it
into a swap partition and you'd "swapoff /dev/hdc3" and "swapon
/dev/hdc11" to make it active.  That makes /dev/hdc3 (your current swap
partition) unused.

Next, with fdisk, you'd change hdc3's partition type to 83 (Linux) and
format it with the ext3 filesystem (this will become your new /home
partition).

Next, you would mount /dev/hda3 somewhere (say, "/mnt/newhome") and copy
ALL of the content from /home to /mnt/newhome.  For example, as root:

	cp -a /home /mnt/newhome

Next, you'd unmount /home and /mnt/newhome.  You'd relabel /dev/hdc4
with some unused name and relabel hdc3 with "/home":

	e2label /dev/hdc4 /scratch
	e2label /dev/hdc3 /home

You'd then mount hdc4 as /home:

	mount /dev/hdc4 /home

At this point, also check /etc/fstab.  If it uses "LABEL=/home" you're
fine.  If it uses "/dev/hdc4", change it to "/dev/hdc3".

Ok, now you have hdc3 as your new "/home" filesystem.  /dev/hdc4 is now
unused and it has a bunch of unallocated space immediately following it.
Using fdisk, you'd destroy hdc4 and recreate it, starting at cylinder
145 and ending on cylinder 705.  Set it's file type to 83 (Linux).

Now you have a Linux partition, /dev/hdc4, starting on cylinder 145 and
ending on cylinder 705.  This will become the "/" filesystem for your
Fedora installation.  Both Fedora and RHEL can share the /boot
partition (/dev/hdc1), but when you install Fedora, make SURE you use
a single partition and make sure it installs on /dev/hdc4.  You'll
probably need to edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file after the install
and make SURE that the Fedora kernel lines have "root=/dev/hdc4" in them
(the ones for RHEL will have "root=/dev/hda8" in them).

Like I said, it's not trivial and if you make ONE error, you'll lose a
lot of stuff.  Depending where the error occurs it may not be
recoverable.

That's it.  If you're confident, then have at it.  Two things though:

1. Make DAMNED SURE you have an adequate backup of the system in case
something goes wrong.

2. Do all the repartitioning, copies and stuff like that in single user
mode (run level 1 or "S").  Do NOT attempt to do this stuff when the
system is running normally (run levels 2 through 5).  You WILL have
issues in that case.

This stuff is not for the faint of heart.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

>>> 1024 MB swap
>>> 8 GB root
>>> 3 GB opt
>>> Did I need another set of above partitions for Fedora.
>>> or I can use same boot and swap partitions for Fedora also.
>> Are you going to replace RH5 or do you want Fedora to run With RH5?
>>
>> Do you want to have the option to boot into one or the other, or do you
> want
>> them to run simultaneously with one running in a window on the other?
>>
>> Are you leaving RH5 or wishing to upgrade to Fedora to get some of the
> newer
>> functions available in Fedora that have yet to be released into RH?
>>
>> Just a couple clarifying questions so we can better help.
>>
>> Karl
>>> Imran Shafiq Khan

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-         C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.         -