Video display not adjustable

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Jul 29 16:59:45 UTC 2008

vbs wrote:
> It does not seem to know what monitor it is and lists it as autoconfigured.
> If I select the configure button there are two options Generic CRT and
> Generic LCD but it does not let me select one or the other and save it.
> Likewise if I select the show monitors check box and find the Dell monitors
> it does not allow any changes as well.
>
> One other interesting note is when I run the system-config-display from the
> command prompt it indicates that the resolution 800x600. If I run the gui
> with startx and go into the display properties the resolution is listed as
> 640x480.
>
> The Dell 15" LCD monitor indicates that it is running 640x480 in either
> configuration settings but that optimum should be 1024x768

In that display, did you checkmark the "Show all monitors" option?  That
begin the display of LOTS of monitors and yours may be in it.  Even if
it isn't, if you click on the little ">" symbol next to the "Generic
CRT" or "Generic LCD", it should display more selections.  When you
select one of those monitors, you should get the "OK" button
highlighted.

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Bob McClure Jr <bob at bobcatos.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 01:55:29PM -0400, vbs wrote:
>>> I have an old HP Netserver LC that I tried to install RH 5 using the GUI
>> and
>>> was not able to. I was able to install it in text mode.
>>>

>>> The problem I have now is when I run the GUI the only option is the
>> 640x480.
>>> The onboard video is a Cirrus logic GD5446. The display options will not
>> let
>>> me change the setting. It would probably be acceptable if I could get it
>>> work at 800x600 any ideas would be appreciated.
>> When you (as root) run system-config-display, does it recognize what
>> monitor you are using?
>>
>> I'm guessing not, and the system will go for the safest configuration
>> when in doubt.  Use the pull-down menu to see if you can tell it what
>> monitor you are using.  If you find it in the list, the config program
>> will allow you more useful options.  If you don't find your monitor in
>> the list and you know what its capabilities are, select one of the
>> Generic monitors that most closely fits yours.
>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Dave Vantine
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave Vantine
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
>> bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
>> Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in
>> the training and instruction of the Lord.  Ephesians 6:4 (NIV)

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-          Programmers often confuse Halloween and Christmas.        -
-              After all, 31 Oct is the same as 25 Dec!              -