Adding disk space to Red Hat 5.1 Virtual Guest

Ronald McCarty mccarty at yournetguard.com
Fri Jun 13 21:23:20 UTC 2008

I'm having an issue getting a Red Hat 5.1 guest virtual machine to be
recognized at boot up of the virtual machine.  The virtual machine and
hypervisor are running on a Dell 1850.

I've added the disk to the xm config file with:

disk = [ "tap:aio:/var/lib/xen/images/issuer1-test.img,xvda,w",
"tap:io:/var/lib/xen/images/issuer1-log-test.img,xvdb,w" ]

where issuer1-log is the new file being used as the disk image.

I create this file in the /var/lib/xen/images/ directory with:

dd if=/dev/zero of=issuer1-log-test.img bs=1M count=30

Unfortunately, after a xm shutdown issuer1-test and an xm create
issuer1-test, the xvdb device is not recognized on the guest:

[root at issuer1-test ~]# dmesg | grep xvd
  xvda: xvda1 xvda2
EXT3 FS on xvda1, internal journal
SELinux: initialized (dev xvda1, type ext3), uses xattr
[root at issuer1-test ~]#

Interestingly enough this same process works on some white box hardware.

Any suggestions?