problem installing Fedora 8

Buz Davis buzdavis at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 27 22:13:25 UTC 2009

I switched hard disks so that my attempts to install were to a 137 gig
disk that had a small msdos partition and a 30 g linux partition.  This
should have allowed plenty of space for an install, but I still got the
[1/1] abnormal termination of Anaconda.

I played around with some of the options and found that if I specified
'noprobe' I would get further into the process.  After selecting English
and a US keyboard Anaconda asked where the files to install were.
When I selected 'Local CD/DVD' it informed me that it couldn't find a
driver for it.  (This seems odd, as it was RUNNING from the CD at the
time).  It offered a list of drivers from which to select but there was
no obvious choice, and every choice that I tried resulted in a dump.
The CD in question is a generic IDE 52x.

I do have an identical CD on another linux box.  Is there any utility by
which I can find the driver that device is using ?  If so, can I prepare
a floppy with this driver to give to Anaconda ?  Should this be in a
standard ext3 filesystem or do I have to do something else to prepare a
driver ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Buz Davis