problem installing Fedora 8

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Aug 27 23:07:33 UTC 2009

Buz Davis wrote:
> I switched hard disks so that my attempts to install were to a 137 gig
> disk that had a small msdos partition and a 30 g linux partition.  This
> should have allowed plenty of space for an install, but I still got the
> [1/1] abnormal termination of Anaconda.
>
> I played around with some of the options and found that if I specified
> 'noprobe' I would get further into the process.  After selecting English
> and a US keyboard Anaconda asked where the files to install were.
> When I selected 'Local CD/DVD' it informed me that it couldn't find a
> driver for it.  (This seems odd, as it was RUNNING from the CD at the
> time).  It offered a list of drivers from which to select but there was
> no obvious choice, and every choice that I tried resulted in a dump.
> The CD in question is a generic IDE 52x.
>
> I do have an identical CD on another linux box.  Is there any utility by
> which I can find the driver that device is using ?  If so, can I prepare
> a floppy with this driver to give to Anaconda ?  Should this be in a
> standard ext3 filesystem or do I have to do something else to prepare a
> driver ?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now that I rack my brain...is this an SMP (multi processor) or AMD-based
(Athlon, Opteron) machine?  Older Fedoras had issues with that stuff.
You might try using "noapic" instead of "noprobe".  "noprobe" blocks the
recognition of some devices on some busses (which is why it couldn't
find your CD).  "noapic" gets around an APIC programming glitch on AMD
and SMP machines.  We used to hit that one a TON on SuperMicro AMD and
AMD SMP boxes.
-                      LOOK OUT!!! BEHIND YOU!!!                     -