creating LVM partitions

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Jun 11 16:31:53 UTC 2009

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> [...]

That's valid, although it's fairly far fetched unless you have
something very misbehaved.

> /usr so that you can't accidentally fill up / installing something.

A good point, but again a fairly rare occurance.

> /home so that a user can't accidentally fill up /; this is the most likely to need to grow as well.

In the days of time-shared, multiuser systems or large servers, yes.
I find quotas to be far more effective in the server world.

> /boot should never be an LVM because it will complicate matters getting access to it in the event your system won't boot.

/boot CAN'T be an LV as grub doesn't speak LVM.  And with Fedora 11 and
the new ext4, /boot has to be a single partition on a single disk (or
RAID1) and use ext2 or ext3 filesystems.
- Life:  That which happens while you search for the remote control. -