Can No Longer See Networked Printer (SOLVED)

Micros50 micros50 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 21 05:46:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 13:22 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Micros50 wrote:

> >> Obviously something changed.  Was the machine updated automatically?
> >>
> >> Did you check its firewall settings to make sure printing is allowed?
> >> You can try turning off iptables ("service iptables stop" as root) and
> >> see if it works.  If so, make sure you allow IPP through its firewall
> >> (TCP/UDP port 631).
> >>
> >> Is selinux enabled?  Try "setenforce permissive" to see if that's it.
> >

> > Solved.  yes, it turned out it was an iptables issue. It's working fine
> > now. Thanks for the help.
>
> Glad you got it working!  After an update, the two most common problems
> are SELinux policy and iptables changes.  That's where I almost always
> start my investigations.

I'll keep that in mind for any future problems I may encounter. I wasn't
aware that iptables rules could be altered during an upgrade. From now
on my first step will be to make sure whatever has disappeared is not
being fire-walled or seLinux'ed into oblivion. In any event thanks for
helping me out with this. It is great to have it working right again. :)

John