problem installing Fedora 8

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Sep 4 06:40:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, September 1, 2009 9:30 pm, Buz Davis wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>  >Have you tried looking at the other consoles (ALT-F2, ALT-F3, ALT-F4)
>  >see if there's some specific error when it croaks?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Rick.  I was unaware of these.  I have
> checked them and found messages to the effect that the processor is not
> supported.  These actually referenced a processor later than my K6.
> I then did some googling and found that apparently the first release of
> Fedora 8 did have a problem with AMD processors.  This was apparently
> fixed in what some sites refer to as "respins", but they don't seem to
> be available at this time.
>
> I went ahead and ordered a copy of CentOS and am mainly counting on
> that.  However I also bought an intel-based pentium system at the local
> NearlyNew store thinking that perhaps I could install Fedora 8 on that.
> I had to blow away a broken XP system (I now have perhaps the hottest
> MS-DOS box around) and I am getting farther into the install before
> problems crop up, but so far there have been problems.  The CDs pass the
> media test, but they always seem to fail somewhere in the install itself
> with "probably invalid media".  Perhaps the CD drive needs cleaning, or
> perhaps the hard disk is flakey - I just haven't had a chance to check
> in any detail.
>
> I haven't totally given up on F 8  but as I said I am waiting for CentOS
> (which sounds like the system for me - I want something reasonably
> up-to-date but not necessarily leading-edge).

I'm not sure you can get any Fedora release that isn't "leading edge"
because that's the primary purpose of the Fedora releases.

If you are worried about running on older hardware, you might just
download the live/install CD of Damn Small Linux and give it a go. It
will run on most anything from a 386 with 8MB of ram, to fairly modern
hardware. If you need Flash plugins, etc. you won't have much joy,
however. The DSL dev's have never gotten it to work, and it's not on the
docket as far as I know.

> Is it possible to copy the CD images to another computer on the network
> and then start the install from the target machine referencing the
> network as a source for the images ?  I do have a network, but nothing
> fancy (though I think the "new" pentium computer has a cdrw drive).
>
> Man, I hope you don't live anywhere near those brush fires!  I know
> there are lots of folks hurting and I hope you aren't among them!

HTH,

Karl

Yes, get your mother out of there. My 88 year old mother wouldn't
survive if she were that close. We've got smoke from fires here in Utah,
and my asthmatic wife has trouble going outside some days. It's been a
bit clearer lately, and rain is expected the next few days.

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---