problem installing Fedora 8

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Sep 4 16:56:08 UTC 2009

Karl Pearson wrote:
> On Tue, September 1, 2009 9:30 pm, Buz Davis wrote:
>> Rick Stevens wrote:
>>  >Have you tried looking at the other consoles (ALT-F2, ALT-F3, ALT-F4)
>>  >see if there's some specific error when it croaks?
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion, Rick.  I was unaware of these.  I have
>> checked them and found messages to the effect that the processor is not
>> supported.  These actually referenced a processor later than my K6.
>> I then did some googling and found that apparently the first release of
>> Fedora 8 did have a problem with AMD processors.  This was apparently
>> fixed in what some sites refer to as "respins", but they don't seem to
>> be available at this time.

Uhm, try F9?  Download the LiveCD and try it.

>> I went ahead and ordered a copy of CentOS and am mainly counting on
>> that.  However I also bought an intel-based pentium system at the local
>> NearlyNew store thinking that perhaps I could install Fedora 8 on that.
>> I had to blow away a broken XP system (I now have perhaps the hottest
>> MS-DOS box around) and I am getting farther into the install before
>> problems crop up, but so far there have been problems.  The CDs pass the
>> media test, but they always seem to fail somewhere in the install itself
>> with "probably invalid media".  Perhaps the CD drive needs cleaning, or
>> perhaps the hard disk is flakey - I just haven't had a chance to check
>> in any detail.
>>
>> I haven't totally given up on F 8  but as I said I am waiting for CentOS
>> (which sounds like the system for me - I want something reasonably
>> up-to-date but not necessarily leading-edge).
>
> I'm not sure you can get any Fedora release that isn't "leading edge"
> because that's the primary purpose of the Fedora releases.
>
> If you are worried about running on older hardware, you might just
> download the live/install CD of Damn Small Linux and give it a go. It
> will run on most anything from a 386 with 8MB of ram, to fairly modern
> hardware. If you need Flash plugins, etc. you won't have much joy,
> however. The DSL dev's have never gotten it to work, and it's not on the
> docket as far as I know.
>
>> Is it possible to copy the CD images to another computer on the network
>> and then start the install from the target machine referencing the
>> network as a source for the images ?  I do have a network, but nothing
>> fancy (though I think the "new" pentium computer has a cdrw drive).
>>
>> Man, I hope you don't live anywhere near those brush fires!  I know
>> there are lots of folks hurting and I hope you aren't among them!
>
> HTH,
>
> Karl
>
> Yes, get your mother out of there. My 88 year old mother wouldn't
> survive if she were that close. We've got smoke from fires here in Utah,
> and my asthmatic wife has trouble going outside some days. It's been a
> bit clearer lately, and rain is expected the next few days.

Mom's fine.  This isn't her first rodeo with brushfires (some a LOT
closer) and she won't leave.   Besides, I'd rather get in a scrap with a
wounded wolverine with PMS than try to get my Mom to do something she
doesn't want to do.  There'd be far less bloodshed with the wolverine.
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -