How can I upgrade kernel on a Redhat Linux machine

Chen, Douglas Douglas.Chen at micrel.com
Wed Sep 16 23:31:49 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Rick
Stevens
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:18 AM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: How can I upgrade kernel on a Redhat Linux machine

Chen, Douglas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed a CAD tool and it complains when launched that the
> kernel and glibc on this Redhat Linux machine is too old and need to
> be upgraded. I  need help to figure out how to upgrade both of them.
>
> This is the current configuration: Redhat Enterprise Linux WS release
> 4
> (Nahant)
>                                              Kernel 2.6.9-5.ELsmp
>                                              glibc 2.25
>
> I need to upgrade at least to Kernel 2.6.9-42.EL and glibc 2.3.4
>
> Please kindly let me know where I can download the kernel and glibc
> and how I can upgrade them. Also, will the kernel upgrade affect the
> software currently installed and running without problem? Do I need to

> compile the new kernel?
>
> Thank you very much for your assistance in advance.

If your entitlements are up to date, you should be able to update to the
latest RPMs simply by entering "up2date" or (using the Gnome desktop) go
to the "System" menu, select "Adminstration" and then "Update System" (I
think that's where it is...RHEL/WS4 is pretty damned old).

If your hardware is 686 or better, you might want to think about
upgrading to RHEL5 or CentOS 5.
-                Huked on foniks reely wurked for me!                -

The reason why we stick with this old version of OS is because our CAD
tools do not evolve as fast as OS. They will not run on the newer OS.

I did try to use command 'up2date' but failed since our system is out of
maintenance contract; I believe.

Can you please enlighten me with
1. where to download kernel and glibc? There are so many sites that I am
confused which one is the legit one.
2. what is the proper procedure to install them? I really can afford to
screw up on these production machines.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Douglas