Printer Stopped Working (SOLVED)

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Feb 11 22:16:17 UTC 2010

On 02/11/2010 01:05 PM, Micros50 wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 12:01 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> Okay... I can ping the printer via it's ip address. I cannot ping by
>>> name and, I am not running bind nor is dnssec-conf installed. This
>>> problem is also network wide because none of my machines can print
>>> anything anymore.  I still get the message
>>>
>>> "paused /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups failed"
>>>
>>> And CUPS administration won't let me unpause the printer nor carry out
>>> any administrative function.
>>
>> I can only think of two possibilities, a buggered hpijs RPM or a
>> conflict in the hplip stuff (if installed).  Make sure they're updated.
>>
>> Try to force an unpause via:
>>
>> 	cupsenable [printername]
>> 	cupsaccept [printername]
>>

> Okay, I seemed to have solved the problem, although I am still not
> certain what the cause of the problem was, at least I got bnetwork
> printing up and running again.
>
> What I did was to open the CUPS configuration dialog and delete the
> printer. Then I let CUPS  discover what printers I have on the network.
> Then I re-installed the printer and viola... it is printing again. I had
> to do this on each computer and so far...(knock on wood) everything
> seems to be back to normal.
>
> I have no idea why this happened. In any event I want to thank Rick&
> Ted for the help and suggestions which I have made note of in the event
> of any future printing problems.
>
> meanwhile I'll chalk this one up as some sort of unidentified glitch.

Entirely possible that the ppd file or the identification URL for the
printer changed.  My guess is a hal or udev update buggered things.

I've had locally-connected (e.g. USB) printers go offline after a hal
update.  I simply added them again and the new definitions worked a
treat.  The old definitions remained, however, and THOSE iterations of
the printers were marked as "unplugged or turned off".  Weird.  So, I
just deleted the old iterations and we're back to normal.

I don't recall this affecting network printing, but my printers are all
directly connected to my server and the network nodes print to the
server's queues, not directly to the printers.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted and sorry I wasn't more help.
-                      LOOK OUT!!! BEHIND YOU!!!                     -