Printer Stopped Working (SOLVED)

Micros50 micros50 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 11 23:47:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 14:16 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 02/11/2010 01:05 PM, Micros50 wrote:

> >> I can only think of two possibilities, a buggered hpijs RPM or a
> >> conflict in the hplip stuff (if installed).  Make sure they're updated.
> >>
> >> Try to force an unpause via:
> >>
> >> 	cupsenable [printername]
> >> 	cupsaccept [printername]
> >>

> > Okay, I seemed to have solved the problem, although I am still not
> > certain what the cause of the problem was, at least I got bnetwork
> > printing up and running again.
> >
> > What I did was to open the CUPS configuration dialog and delete the
> > printer. Then I let CUPS  discover what printers I have on the network.
> > Then I re-installed the printer and viola... it is printing again. I had
> > to do this on each computer and so far...(knock on wood) everything
> > seems to be back to normal.
> >
> > I have no idea why this happened. In any event I want to thank Rick&
> > Ted for the help and suggestions which I have made note of in the event
> > of any future printing problems.
> >
> > meanwhile I'll chalk this one up as some sort of unidentified glitch.
>
> Entirely possible that the ppd file or the identification URL for the
> printer changed.  My guess is a hal or udev update buggered things.
>
> I've had locally-connected (e.g. USB) printers go offline after a hal
> update.  I simply added them again and the new definitions worked a
> treat.  The old definitions remained, however, and THOSE iterations of
> the printers were marked as "unplugged or turned off".  Weird.  So, I
> just deleted the old iterations and we're back to normal.
>
> I don't recall this affecting network printing, but my printers are all
> directly connected to my server and the network nodes print to the
> server's queues, not directly to the printers.
>
> Anyway, glad you got it sorted and sorry I wasn't more help.

Not to worry, actually you and Ted helped a great deal. Now that you
mention it being a hal or udev issue and thinking back to some of the
things I was noticing as I diagnosed the problem I think it may very
well have been a hal or udev issue.  I'll definitely keep that in mind
in the event I should have any future or similar issues with the
printing.

Much thanks...

Ciao

John