boot problem

blann blann at gte.net
Thu Jan 21 23:56:13 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob McClure Jr" <bob at bobcatos.com>
To: "Getting started with Red Hat Linux" <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:13 PM
Subject: Re: boot problem

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 06:04:37PM -1000, blann wrote:
>> Dear Mr. McClure,
>> Many thanks for the kind reply. Before confessing sins since, I put
>> in the rescue CD, and reply to
>> find linux was: 'you don't have any linux partitions'
>> I confess that I tried to run a live disk ubuntu9.10, then did an
>> install . So partition magic 8.0 tells me that
>> my HD looks like:
>> PARTITION  TYPE   SIZE  USED    UNUSED   STATUS     PRI/LOG
>> local[C]            NTSF    132GB
>> active primary
>> Local disc[*]     linux ext3  103mb 0         0
>> none "
>> [*]                   extended     20gb   20gb   0
>> " "
>> Local disk[E]    ntfs            10gb     6.6    10gb             "
>> logical
>> disk[*]            linux ext3     9.5gb    9.5gb  0
>> " "
>> swapspace2[*] linux swap   470mb    0.0      470mb       "
>> '
>>
>> Any suggestions as to what I might try?
>
> Sorry about the delay in replying.  I was hoping someone with more
> knowledge than I would pipe up, the salutation notwithstanding.
>
> Apparently your aborting of the update hosed the partition table.  Had
> you not installed Ubuntu, I would have said that a guru (and not I)
> could perhaps reconstruct your partition table.  But with your fresh
> installation, all bets are off.

  On the UBUNTU install, the claim was that it would find blank space on a
partition,
create a new ntfs partition, and install ubuntu there. I note a new ntfs
partition of 10gb,
adjacent to a 9.5 gb native linux plus linux swap partitions- so wonder if
this is not my fc6 installation?
Then I need to know what to try to open that partition (9.5gb native linux)?
One thought was to
use the linux update option of the install- assuming fc6 supports this,
install a few ptions only, and hope that
I will then be given the option of re-installing the lilo boot menu. If this
fails- or likely even if it does not,
I expect to try a fc12 install on a second, presently unused HD on my
computer- or does the community
advise other than FC12? My main use is fortran compile/execute, LATEX,
xmgrace- but things I
presently do in WinXP might migrate to linux depending on available software
(photo,video editing).
  The UBUNTU installation used was 9.10- which I believe is new.
  Will FC12 install on an ntfs partition? Any decrease in performance?
Thanks to the community for support-  Marshall