boot problem

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Fri Jan 22 19:44:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 01:56:13PM -1000, blann wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob McClure Jr"
> <bob at bobcatos.com>

Hmm.  I guess so.

> Then I need to know what to try to open that partition (9.5gb native
> linux)? One thought was to
> use the linux update option of the install- assuming fc6 supports
> this, install a few ptions only, and hope that
> I will then be given the option of re-installing the lilo boot menu.
> If this fails- or likely even if it does not,

Given that the rescue disk couldn't find any evidence of a Linux
install, I'd be really surprised if you could resurrect a working FC6
installation.

However, you can use your Ubuntu installation to mount what's believed
to be your old FC6 partition.  I'd do it something like this (as
root):

  mkdir /fc6
  mount /dev/hda4 /fc6 # replace "hda4" with whatever the FC6
                       # partition is.

Then you can inspect it and see what's there.  First, look at
/fc6/etc/issue.  That will tell you if it's your FC6 install.  If you
find a complete /fc6/home directory there, I'd copy it off to your
Ubuntu installation or burn it to a CD.  I'd also copy off the
/fc6/etc directory if you want to recover system configuration stuff,
including the password file, network config and such.

> I expect to try a fc12 install on a second, presently unused HD on
> my computer- or does the community
> advise other than FC12?

F12 (they've dropped the "C" after FC6) would be a fine choice.  I
would install F12 in the partition where FC6 was.  Then you can
backfill the /home directory you copied off.

> My main use is fortran compile/execute,
> LATEX, xmgrace- but things I
> presently do in WinXP might migrate to linux depending on available
> software (photo,video editing).

Fedora 12 is more likely to offer the tools you need.

>  The UBUNTU installation used was 9.10- which I believe is new.
>  Will FC12 install on an ntfs partition?

I don't think so, but then there's no need to.  Just change it to a
linux partition.  F12 may offer to make ext4 filesystems, but you can
make them ext3 if Ubuntu doesn't support ext4.

> Any decrease in performance?

NTFS: Just say no.

> Thanks to the community for support-  Marshall
>
> >>If I try to do a linux fc6 re-install, might this work?
> >
> >To reconstruct your old installation, no.  Further, FC6 is way old and
> >no longer supported.  I'm not up on Ubuntu versions, but if it's less
> >than a couple years old, it's a much safer installation that FC6 would
> >be.
> >
> >If you want to go back to Fedora, get Fedora 12.  If you have
> >high-speed always-on Internet, just get the first CD, and it will do
> >most of the install from Internet resources, saving you the inevitable
> >updates after the install.
> >
> >If you want a free Red-Hat-ish distro that won't end-of-life in 12-18
> >months, download and install CentOS 5.4, a free superset of RHEL 5.4.
> >
> >>Will reinstall find the way to the linux partitions?
> >
> >No.  I think you've overwritten them with Ubuntu.
> >
> >>Thanks for any help on this-  Marshall
> >>p.s.-the ubuntu was installed on the second ntfs partition which it
> >>created from linux space-
> >>
> >>----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob McClure Jr"
> >><bob at bobcatos.com>

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all
knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not
love, I am nothing.  1 Corinthians 13:2 (NIV)