Problems with RHEL5 Install

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Jun 30 20:58:35 UTC 2010

On 06/30/2010 12:18 PM, Tyler Pauly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to install RHEL5 from the 6 CD set onto my home computer.
>
> The components are: an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard, an Intel i7 930 processor,
> some DDR3 ram and an Nvidia 480 GTX graphics card.
>
> Upon install, the program asks for drivers.  I assume it is asking for my
> SATA controller drivers for my motherboard, but I am not sure.  In addition,
> I have no idea whether they exist, and if they do, if they are compatible
> with RHEL5.
>
> Is there a(n easy) way to figure this out?  I have not had luck with the
> drivers included on the RHEL disks. Feel free to let me know if I have not
> included enough information.
>
> Thank you very much!

If you have purchased RHEL5, then I'd try the normal support route.
They may have a solution for you.  I know that board uses a Marvell
SATA controller and I'm just not sure how well supported it is on
kernels earlier than 2.6.20 or so (RHEL5 uses a 2.6.18 kernel).

Note also that the Marvell is a "fake RAID" (not a true hardware RAID).
If you have it set up in RAID mode, try taking it down to a non-RAID
configuration in the BIOS and try to install that way.  If it works
like that, then you'll have to run barefoot (non-RAID) or stuff in
a second drive and set up a software RAID.

If not, RHEL5 is based on Fedora 6 (we're on Fedora 13 now), and SATA
support was somewhat sketchy back then.  The latest release of RHEL5 is
5.5.  If you got those CDs, you might have a better chance as 5.5 is
based on a later kernel than the original 5.0 and might have better
support.

If you have a chance, try downloading the CentOS 5.5 disks and try
them.  CentOS is based on the source RPMs from Red Hat.  At least,
you'll have an idea as to whether it'll work.

As a last resort, try downloading the Fedora 13 Live CD and boot that.
If it boots and you can install to your hard drive from there, then at
least you'll know that RHEL6 will probably support it out of the box
(rumor is that RHEL6 will be based on F13 eventually).

Sorry I can't help a heck of a lot more than that.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-           What is a "free" gift?  Aren't all gifts free?           -