After RHEL 6 installation, no GUI

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Nov 15 17:30:18 UTC 2010

On 11/14/2010 03:14 AM, Jimmy PIERRE wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am a bit lost. Never had this before with RHEL 5. Installed RHEL 6
> normally, added gnome and KDE, RHEL starts in text mode only.
>
> Reintstalled, same problem.
>
> I need to point out that this is a vmware installtion, *but* as I said
> never happenned with RHEL 5.
>
> Tried grub-install etc. No luck. startx or startX neither.
>
> Glad if someone knows how to solve this.

The first thing to do is to try the startx, then have a look at the
/var/log/Xorg.0.log file and see what it has to say.

If this is an upgrade, keep in mind there was a big change in X between
RHEL5 and RHEL6.  You might even try renaming your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file and trying the startx again.  The new X often doesn't need an
xorg.conf and will actually have issues if it tries to obey what's in
an older xorg.conf.

Give it a try and let us know.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-   To err is human.  To forgive, a large sum of money is needed.    -