Re: new to redhat

On 16/11/2010 21:21, Rick Stevens wrote:
On 11/16/2010 10:28 AM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
Good day,

I have ordered some RH 9 cd's.

Red Hat 9 went end-of-life about four years ago, Johan.  You really
need to go with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.5 or 6.0.

CentOS is also a good bet, as it's built from Red Hat's source RPMs and
is, essentially, identical (except for some branding, logos, etc.).
The kicker is...it's free!  The only caveat is that there's a bit of a
lag between any updates from Red Hat and having them appear on CentOS
(as the CentOS gang has to grab the source code, change the branding
and stuff and rebuild them).

Done some home work on google.
Some knowledge of debian squeeze and opensuse 11.3.

Being a pensionar I do have the time to fiddle around with different
distros.

The "experimental hamster" for Red Hat is called "Fedora".  That's
where all the heavy development is done.  The latest RHEL 6 is based on
Fedora 12.  The previous RHEL 5 was based on Fedora 6.  The current
Fedora release is Fedora 14 (just came out a few weeks ago) and there
are still some teething pains with it.

If you want the latest, get Fedora 14.  Depending on your level of pain
tolerance, you may want to go with the more stable Fedora 13.  If you
want TRUE stability, stick with RHEL or CentOS.

May need some assistance along the redhat way.

I've been using all of them for about 15 years and I can help if needed.
I'm also an assistant sysop for this forum, but you'll find me on the
Fedora user's list (users lists fedora org) or the Fedora test list
(test lists fedora org).
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks nerd com -
-         If this is the first day of the rest of my life...         -
-                        I'm in BIG trouble!                         -