Re: new to redhat

On 11/16/2010 12:10 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
On 16/11/2010 21:21, Rick Stevens wrote:
On 11/16/2010 10:28 AM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
Good day,

I have ordered some RH 9 cd's.

Red Hat 9 went end-of-life about four years ago, Johan. You really
need to go with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.5 or 6.0.

CentOS is also a good bet, as it's built from Red Hat's source RPMs and
is, essentially, identical (except for some branding, logos, etc.).
The kicker is...it's free! The only caveat is that there's a bit of a
lag between any updates from Red Hat and having them appear on CentOS
(as the CentOS gang has to grab the source code, change the branding
and stuff and rebuild them).

Done some home work on google.
Some knowledge of debian squeeze and opensuse 11.3.

Being a pensionar I do have the time to fiddle around with different
distros.

The "experimental hamster" for Red Hat is called "Fedora". That's
where all the heavy development is done. The latest RHEL 6 is based on
Fedora 12. The previous RHEL 5 was based on Fedora 6. The current
Fedora release is Fedora 14 (just came out a few weeks ago) and there
are still some teething pains with it.

If you want the latest, get Fedora 14. Depending on your level of pain
tolerance, you may want to go with the more stable Fedora 13. If you
want TRUE stability, stick with RHEL or CentOS.

May need some assistance along the redhat way.

I've been using all of them for about 15 years and I can help if needed.
I'm also an assistant sysop for this forum, but you'll find me on the
Fedora user's list (users lists fedora org) or the Fedora test list
(test lists fedora org).
Thanks.
Busy downloading fedora 14 iso for cd.
subscribed to users and laptop.

Great!  Now remember, Fedora 14 is absolute bleeding edge stuff.  You
may have some stability issues, bugs and other things going on with
it as it is actively being developed.  For that reason, you should grab
the LiveCD version first, burn it to a CD and boot it.

When running from that CD you can play with Fedora, test it out and see
if it's what you're looking for and are comfortable with.  If it is,
you CAN install a full-up F14 (Fedora 14) using the Web and that CD.
If you stick with Fedora, then yes, I'd join the Fedora list.  Lots of
Fedora people over there and absolutely gobs of help available from
them.

If you need stability and reliability, then go for either RHEL5 or 6
or the free CentOS versions.  CentOS 5 is out, CentOS 6 soon will be
(once the CentOS boffins get a chance to change the branding on the
Red Hat source code).

Welcome to the fold!  As someone once said, "It's a great life once
you've weakened."
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks nerd com -
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -