new to redhat

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Nov 19 01:37:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, November 16, 2010 12:01 pm, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> Hi Johan,
>
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 08:28:37PM +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> I have ordered some RH 9 cd's.
>
> Umm, why?  RH 9 is extremely antique and no longer supported.  That
> means you can't get any security (or any other) updates for it and
> will be vulnerable to crackers.  Furthermore, if you machine is very
> recent, it may not support the hardware very well.
>
>> Done some home work on google.
>> Some knowledge of debian squeeze and opensuse 11.3.
>
> I've no experience with either of those.
>
>> Being a pensionar I do have the time to fiddle around with different
>> distros.
>> May need some assistance along the redhat way.
>
> If you want to mess around with Red-Hat-ish distros, you want either
> Fedora (version 14 is just out) <http://fedoraproject.org/> or CentOS
> (v5.5 is current, and v6 will be out soon) <http://www.centos.org/>.
> Fedora is the cutting edge trial area for what will become a real Red
> Hat release.  CentOS is the free variant of the current Red Hat, and
> is nearly exactly like RH except for the branding and (of course)
> support.
>
> If you are new to Linux, especially if coming from Windoze, you might
> want to consider Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntu.com/> which is a derivative
> of Debian, but is geared more for the Windoze escapee.  It has more
> recent stuff than CentOS, but more stable, and for the most part, Just
> Works.

Rather than ubuntu, I would, and haven't been disappointed, recommend
Linux Mint, which has 2 versions: 1. Ubuntu-based, and 2. Debian-based.

#2 is more like Fedora, other than being more stable.

If you are into tinkering, you might also try Slackware. It's a very
different beast from .RPM or .DEB distros, but gives some great learning
opportunities. Well, that and some pain, as Rick mentioned.

Karl
primarily a lurker

> All three distros mentioned can be set up to auto-update, so that you
> always have the latest and most secure stuff.
>
>> Regards
>> Johan
>

> Cheers,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
> bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
> If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the
> new has come!  2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
 repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
---
 Linux: Because A PC is a terrible thing to waste...
---