ping hostname on mixed windows/fedora environment

Ted Potter tpotter at techmarin.com
Tue Oct 12 15:01:34 UTC 2010

simple answer - to ping by hostname those boxes should be using a static ip
address and each box needs to have the hosts file configured. What you are
seeing
is most likely due to the fact that even using dhcp those boxes are
receiving the
same ip address. My own habit is to use static ip addresses on a lan with
five or
less devices.

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Bret Stern <
bret_stern at machinemanagement.com> wrote:

> I have a single router issuing ip addresses (dhcp) to a variety of
> Windows/XP/Server and Fedora machines.
>
> Since all my Windows/Fedora machines are issued ip numbers from the
> router, I thought I would be able to ping by hostname to any one of the
> machines.
>
> My windows machines seem to ping by hostname more often than not. The
> Fedora machines (Fedora 12 ftp server, Fedora 13 workstation) do not,
> because I've never taken the time to figure it out.
>
> Although I don't NEED to ping by hostname accross my Windows/Fedora
> workstations, I would like to try.
>
> Any expertise on how to do this...or a good article I can read.
>
> As always, regards,
>
> Bret Stern

Ted Potter
tpotter at techmarin.com