problem with cluster.conf

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Sep 28 17:20:48 UTC 2010

On 09/28/2010 05:00 AM, Bertei Massimiliano wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I had install redhat 5.2 in a cluster configuration (2 redhat server)
> and I used this in cluster.conf this:
>
> [...]
>
> <clusternode name="mhs1.local" nodeid="1" votes="1">
>                          <fence>
>                                  <method name="1">
>                                          <device name="ilo_mhs1"/>
>                                  </method>
>                          </fence>
>                          <multicast addr="224.0.0.1" interface="eth2"/>
>                  </clusternode>
>
> [...]
>

> And it works very well!!!!
>
> But now I replace the same server configuration (hw) but I use redhat
> 5.5 and when I used the configuration part that you see up,
> This return an error because I can't use  "interface="eth2" " and into
> the GUI configuration I can't find multicast interface.
>
> Do you know if is only a my proble or the different version of red hat
> change the metod of cluster?

I haven't run Red Hat's Cluster Suite in a long time.  I've used GFS
and several other bits, but from the svn repos, not the pre-packaged
items.  Yes, there have been changes over time, but I don't think it's
related to the Linux version--the changes have been in the Cluster
Suite packages.

As to a possible gotcha with an upgrade in RHEL itself, different
versions of the kernel may enumerate the buses differently.  For
example, under kernel "X", the system may find your built-in NICs
first, then scan the PCI bus while kernel "Y" may scan the PCI
bus first.

First, run "ifconfig -a" and verify that all of your NICS are being
seen and what they've been named as.  My guess is what WAS eth2 is now
eth1 or something.  Also check the

	/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx

files.  The system will generally try to match the MAC address of a
physical NIC with one of those files which contains a matching "HWADDR"
value and set the name of the NIC to what the "DEVICE" value in the
file is.  Notice I said "generally".  Sometimes these entries just get
ignored. Not often, but sometimes.

If you're not sure which NIC is what as far as the connections are
concerned, you can use "ethtool -p ethX".  That should cause the link
LED on the NIC to flash on and off about once a second so you can
identify which NIC is which.  Exit the ethtool program with CTRL-C.

Once you've identified which NIC is which, you can adjust your config
file accordingly.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -