This is just amazing...

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat Sep 4 21:00:50 UTC 2010

Please forgive my top-post, but also forgive my response:

If you are going to "If I may change the subject" to us, please actually
CHANGE THE SUBJECT (line above).

This is called Hijacking A Thread, and isn't very good manners.

Now to your email (see below):

On Fri, September 3, 2010 2:58 pm, blann wrote:
> If I may change the subject and, as usual ask for help (and thanks for
> past
>  Many moons back I must have damaged my MBR (winXP,FC6). A helpful member
> sent a cd with ubuntu , and now there is a boot choice(grub) between that
> OS
> and  XP.

fdisk /mbr will 'fix' a broken master boot record so you can boot into
WinXP again, though why anyone would without being coerced to, I don't
know.

> I am trying to see if I can restore the grub loader to get into my old FC
> installation which is likely
> still on my HD. I have tried my disk1 from  FC6 to do a reinstall, it
> seems to go thru motions,
> but a revised grub loader does not come up- even tho I get a message
> during
> install
> that boot loader is being installed- and an installation complete msg.

When you installed Ubuntu (Linux Mint is much better IMHO), do you
remember being asked if you wanted to put it side-by-side with BOTH WinXP
and FC?

> Is there a way to repair or replace what I am assuming is a damaged
> mbr/grub
> loader due to having
> turned off a hung up XP with AC button?

as I wrote above: fdisk /mbr

> I have, via generosity of an active member of the group, an FC12 set of
> install disks; have hesitated
> running this for fear I would overwrite /home directory, whereas the FC
> Bible advises that simple
> re-install of FC6 should not do this.
>   Any comments greatly appreciated! Thanks- Marshall

Any install of FC will overwrite the home directory, unless specifically
told not to. What I do in these cases is boot to a "live CD" such as Mint
or another Knoppix-like release, then mount the Linux partition, and copy
/home/ME to a USB-attached external device, such as a disk or flash drive
that's big enough to hold the data. With some distributions, you could
even burn your home directory to a DVD. I also recommend not worrying
about copying anything other than Documents, etc. Settings are pretty easy
to recreate, actually, and you get to use the functionality of the new OS
better that way, too.

Good luck.

Karl

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
 repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
---