Remove ehci_hcd

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Jul 12 20:04:39 UTC 2011

On 07/12/2011 11:40 AM, redhat at buglecreek.com wrote:
> I would like to prevent ehci_hcd from loading at boot.  Doing a modprobe
> -r will remove the module, but it re-appers when rebooted.  I could put
> the command in rc.local, but I would rather not.  I have tried the
> following things, but it always gets loaded at boot:
>
> Added "blacklist ehci_hcd" /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> Tried "alias ehci_hcd off" to modprobe.conf
> Tried "inistall ehci_hcd /bin/true" to modprobe.conf
> I'm seems to be  getting loaded with the initrd.img file. I see the
> module directories  when I mount the image to loop.  I tried creating a
> new initrd.img, but I havn't been able get the ehci_hcd module to not
> show up in the newly created initrd.

It would help if we knew what version of the OS you're running.
Assuming something like RHEL 5.6, then you should remove what you did
before.  Next you should add "blacklist ehci_hcd" to the end of the
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" file.  Then remove the module from the
running system via:

	# modprobe -r ehci_hcd

Finally, you need to rebuild the initrd image.  This is usually done by:

	# cd /boot
	# mkinitrd -fv initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`

Reboot and that should do it.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -